Alumni Association Victory Bell
Alumni Victory Bell located on the grounds of the Messalonskee
High School was given to the school in 1974 by the Oakland Alumni
Association. A small building was constructed to house the bell
near the entrance to the school grounds. The bell was situated
near some residential homes and there were complaints from the
residents when the bell was rung to celebrate a late evening athletic
victory. The school authorities removed the clapper at one point.
The bell became the target for vandals who threw some very large
stones at the bell.
2002 a committee from the Oakland Alumni Assoc. met with school
officials to discuss our concern for the neglect and misuse of
the bell. At a later date it was decided that the building that
houses the bell should be temporarily boarded up to protect any
further damage by vandals. The building and bell have been moved
to a new location near the athletic fields where it can be used
to celebrate athletic victories without annoying the residential
neighbors. School representatives have indicated that there are
tentative plans to renovate the building so that the bell can
be used and displayed as it was intended. At the present time
the structure needs repairs from damages incurred when it was
Victory Bell Dedication 1974
report was given by Miss Lena Kerr class of 1909 at the dedication
of the bell on June 8, 1974.
High School building was erected in 1896-1899 at a cost of approximately
$1800 and closed in the 1920's.
It was damaged
by fire on Sept. 14, 1900, the fire creeping up from the basement
to belfry. Classes were moved into the Methodist Church Vestry
while repairs were made on the school building.
period of repairs, the belfry was changed in design.
It was now
possible to hang a bell in the belfry. Such a bell was located
and hung in the new reconstructed belfry and classes were resumed
in the Oakland High School in the Spring of 1901.
closed and idle for many years, the Old High School building was
sold to Ralph Stowell, and more recently was purchased by the
Oakland Methodist Church.
1971 work was started on tearing down the building and the bell
was removed from the belfry August 11, 1971.
The bell was
purchased by the Oakland Alumni Association for $1250.00 and is
now placed at the south side of the present building complex where
it will be dedicated tonight (Superintendent Ralph M. Atwood accepted
this gift on behalf of the school system, and the bell was tolled
by treasurer Roy Bowen). Here it will serve as a reminder and
link with the past and also tolled for victories by the Messalonskee
High School sports teams.